Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TT #8: Teaching With Technology Web-ography

  • Primary Games
    • www.primarygames.com
      • K-2 grade: This is a great website for students to play games and learn at the same time. It is a great review of all subjects, not just Language Arts. Students will have fun playing the games and not even realize they are learning at the same time. The games really pick up on the important topics they need to know in order to be a productive citizen of their community.
      • I would use this in my classroom all the time. Students could work on these games when I am working with other students. It is also great for me to see what direction I need to go with each student depending on how they do playing the games. It is a very kid-friendly website and I know I will be able to trust them when using the computers. If students want, they can even access it from home because you do not need a password to access the games.
  • Children’s Story Writing
    • http://www.midlandit.co.uk/education/index.htm
      • 2-6 grade: I love this website because it gives students a chance to have their work published on the internet in a same place. Students complete a story and then copy and paste it from a Word document. Then they can decorate a cover and share it with the world.
      • After students have gone through the steps of the writing process and their story looks how they want it to, I would have students type it on the computer and then publish it on the website. I would then have them go and look at other student’s work and comment on it.
  • Articles Base
    • http://www.articlesbase.com/article-marketing-articles/top-4-reasons-students-hate-paper-writing-431038.html
      • 5-6 grade: This is a great website that has an article written that is written in such a way that any older elementary school student could understand. It hits almost every issue that goes on in a struggling writer’s head and conveys it in a way that students can relate. It is great to make real-world applications whenever possible and I believe this article in this website succeeds in making it memorable for everyone who reads it.
      • I will read the article out loud to students and have them think about what the article is saying and what is going on in their brains. I will have them write down their thoughts in their journals for them to look back on at the end of the year and see if their attitudes have changed about writing or if they are still the same.
  • Paragraph Sandwiches
    • http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Mountain/9112/Parasandwich.html
      • 2-3 grade: This is a great website that shows how students see the different aspects that go into writing a paragraph. Each part of the sandwich is a different aspect of a paragraph. This is fun for students because they will have an easy study guide for making sure they are making correct paragraphs in their writing.
      • I will use this in my classroom at the beginning of a big writing unit in which I would like my students to write paragraphs when writing things to their audience. Students will then use it throughout the year as a guide to make sure they have made a paragraph in the correct manner.

No comments: