Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reflection of Teaching Thus Far

I can’t believe my college life is almost done. It has been a great three and a half years so far and I am so excited to student teach next semester!!!! I am a little scared though at the same time. When I think about having 20-30 kids to take care of and make sure they are learning what I am teaching them, that makes my blood pressure rise a little bit. I can’t let the pressure get to me though because it’s not about me, it’s about the kids and making sure they get the best education they possibly can. That is by far the biggest lesson I have learned while being at K-State. I have definitely gone through my fair share of struggles to get where I am at and I am still trying to get through some of them but I know deep down in my heart that I was put on this earth by God to be a teacher. I am not going to let anyone or anything stop me from fulfilling my dreams and having a class of my own in August. WOW that’s coming up quick!!!!

Even though I have struggled in college, I know that I am supposed to be a teacher like I said before. The reason I know this is because no matter what I am going through when I am in a classroom, I am happy and have the most joy in my heart. Even when I’m not at a school I have compassion and a yearning to make sure all kids are safe and healthy. When I see kids out in public, my heart just rejoices when I see them with a smile on their faces. The worst sound in the world in my opinion is a child crying. My heart aches whenever I hear that happen. I know at times I can get too emotionally involved and I need to learn to not let my emotions get the best of me but sometimes that fire and that passion is what drives me to continue on in my education. There have been several times that I have just wanted to quit and give up but then I see my nephew and that gives me the hope and encouragement I need to get through my hard times.

Teaching is one of the toughest professions ever and I look forward to see where it goes. I know that most teachers complain that we do not get paid enough or we don’t get enough benefits but I believe the biggest payment or benefit is watching a student succeed after struggling for so long. My 5th grade teacher told me how wonderful she felt after I had improved on my reading the few years after I was a 5th grader. It is moments like that that I will cherish for the rest of my life. People say that teaching is not a career, it’s a lifestyle. I am ready to live that lifestyle and cannot wait to make a difference in children’s lives. It is going to be awesome!!!!!!

No comments: